Thursday, May 6, 2010

Growing Up

Yesterday, while visiting my nani, or moti mummy, as we call her, me and my sister were recollecting the days we'd spent there years ago. Having spent almost half my vacations during school days there, I have a sursprisingly few memories of those times. However, thinking back, whatever few memories I do have, have a cheerful and a carefree edge to them.

I clearly remember days on which our sole aim used to collecting little white flowers from the nearby garden and making a garland of them. Then there were times we used to invent crazy games and spend hours playing them. Each day started with a new, fresh agenda and all our life thoughts were limited to those few hours.

I try and compare those past times to these current ones. Doing things just for the sake of doing them, without caring about their usefulness, not having to think about the important things in life; these seem like a long lost art. I wish I could live life like that again, without any cares in the world.

But I guess that's the thing about growing up, you can't be a child anymore...

4 comments:

  1. wrong. You can be. True the worries have increased. But u can always be a child again. You can..trust me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though as an after thought, If you do child like things with the intention of having that carefree attitude then that wouldn't exactly be carefree cause it will be done with that intention itself, losing the entire purpose.
    proving you are being a child with a purpose.
    hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @saloni- no 1 does child like thngs jst to have dt carefree attitude..it comes naturally to you wen u see smethng from the past dt u loved doing...take aashimi for example, i think she still plays dse stupid word games...dnt compare the child in you with the child in others,...remember, u r the "unique me".... u might not realize it, but u mite still b the child u were at many times...d frequency might hve reduced though...
    but hey, 1 advantage of growing up..
    u can do child-like thngs and grown up-things too...!! dts double advantage...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @dhaval: Ya, I can do the same things I used to as a child, but what I meant by being a child was being carefree. I do play word games (and they are not stupid), but there is always a nagging voice in my head that says I shouldn't be, that I should be doing something more worthwhile. The burden of having to progress in life, of having to make decisions takes the joy out of many a small things...

    @saloni: ya, that was to be a part of my post, that how you can decide to forget all cares and live life like a child again. however, it takes too much of a conscious effort, which is little worth it.

    ReplyDelete